Investing in Property in 3 Simple Steps
If you already own a property, you may be able to use the equity in that property to kick start your investment property portfolio. As a first-home buyer, you’ll need to have a deposit, the amount of which will vary between lenders. Your mortgage adviser will help you determine which lender best fits your situation, working from a panel of lenders, and can help you get pre-approval so you know how much you could borrow.
2. Determine Your Goals and Strategy
Decide on your goals for investing in property and the strategies to get you there. To help you get started, think about:
• Why you’re investing in property – to generate income, build wealth or to save for retirement.
• What your time frame is – how long until you retire, how long you plan to hold onto a property before selling.
• The type of investment property you could buy in order to reach your goals – a smaller rental in a cheaper area versus a modern apartment close to the CBD.
The investment strategy you choose will depend on factors like your age and how close to retirement you are. If you still have 20 years to go until retirement, you’ll likely be looking for capital gain to grow your investment substantially. If you’re close to retirement, you’ll probably choose a strategy that will provide a solid cash flow that you can comfortably live on during retirement.
3. Research the Property Market
Once you have a clearer idea of your goals and investment strategy, it’s time to research the market to find the right property to match. For each property you’re considering, take a look at:
• How long it’s been on the market.
• Any changes to the advertised price since it was listed.
• The sales history.
• Median sale price and historical capital growth rates for the area.
• What price comparable properties are selling and renting for.
Also consider the costs associated with maintaining and possibly renovating the investment property and the likely rental income you could achieve as these will all be determining factors in your property choice.
Investing in property needn’t be a complex process. At every step of the way, our mortgage advisers are available to guide you and assist you to ensure you understand the processes and requirements needed for you to reach your property investment goals.
If you’d like to talk to one our mortgage advisers about your property investment goals and how to achieve these, simply get in touch and we’ll have someone call you back.